March 4 – 13, 2017 – Only 3 Spots Left!
(8 nights), $5250
Early Bird discount of 10%, if you register between June 1 and November 30, 2016.
Max # of participants: 6 Min # of participants: 4
Northern Alaska is known for its amazing auroras and stark winter landscape. If experiencing (and photographing) auroras is on your Bucket List, then this is a trip not to be missed. Here is a brief description of what you can expect:
- Amazing winter landscapes and (if weather provides) amazing aurora displays.
- Attend the restart (the official start) of the 2017 Iditarod.
- Fly from Anchorage to Fairbanks.
- We will be staying and shooting in two remote locations, Chena Hot Springs (65 miles NE of Fairbanks) and Bettles (above the Arctic Circle, 235 miles NNW of Fairbanks); both of these locations promise spectacular winter landscapes and brilliant displays of the northern lights. We will also stay one night in Fairbanks to photograph the ongoing World Ice Art Championship, with 50 single-block ice sculptures (each block is about 5′x8′x3′ in size, weighing 7,800 pounds) and 25 multi-block ice sculptures; the nighttime illuminations of the ice sculptures are dazzling.
- The dates and locations have been chosen to maximize our chances of experiencing amazing and graceful auroras covering the night sky. We will do our best to “follow the lights,” including staying out in to the wee hours to maximize our opportunities.
- Experiencing life above the Arctic Circle at Bettles Lodge, staying in a National Historic Landmark lodge (very few of these lodges exist today).
- If you desire, you can experience other Alaskan activities, such as dog sledding, snow shoeing, hiking, and flight-seeing. These activities will occur during the day, when we are not in our educational workshops.
- There will be educational seminars on how to shoot and how to process aurora images.
If it sounds amazing, it is because it is!
Bonus, if you are interested in joining us for the Ceremonial start of the Iditarod in Anchorage, you are welcome to come in a day early (at your cost) and join us.
Once you are registered, you will receive additional information, Shooting in Extreme Conditions, on how to prepare for this type of extreme adventure. It is important to be prepared.
To register for this trip, click here:
- Saturday, March 4– Participants arrive in Anchorage, Alaska
- Sunday, March 5 – Attend the official start of the Iditarod.
- Monday, March 6– Shuttle to Chena Hot Springs, arrive mid-afternoon at Chena Hot Springs Resort; Presentation on Aurora Photography techniques; that night we will head to Charlie Dome for Auroras!
- Tuesday, March 7 – Processing Aurora images Workshop; Photography Hike and walking-tutorial on shooting Winter (White) Landscapes; Aurora Photography at Charlie Dome
- Wednesday, March 8 – Return to Fairbanks, staying at Chena River Lodge; in the evening, we will attend the 2017 World Ice Art Championship to photograph the extraordinary ice sculptures that have been created on-site by the world’s best ice sculptors.
- Thursday, March 9 – We will fly to Bettles, Aurora Photography that night
- Friday, March 10 – Visit Gates of the Arctic/Kanuti Visitor Center; Other excursion opportunities (on your own) offered by Bettles Lodge; Aurora Photography that evening.
- Saturday, March 11 – Photography Hike; Other excursion opportunities (own your own) offered by Bettles Lodge; Aurora Photography that evening
- Sunday, March 12 – Photography around Bettles; other excursion opportunities (on your own) offered by Bettles Lodge; Aurora Photography that evening.
- Monday, March 13 – Wrap-up tour and fly back to Fairbanks and begin the journey home.
Itinerary subject to change.
- Expert guide and local knowledge.
- Presentations on Aurora Photography; Processing Aurora Images; How to Shoot Winter (White) Landscapes.
- Small tour size designed to create a fun and interactive environment that enhances your individual experience.
- All transportation within Alaska during the workshop — we will travel by air from Anchorage to Fairbanks, shuttle to and from Chena Hot Springs, and by air to and from Bettles.
- Hotel and lodge accommodations at Anchorage, Bettles (Bettles Lodge), Fairbanks, and Chena Hot Springs (Chena Hot Springs Resort).
- Bettles Lodge breakfast, lunch and dinner and Fairbanks breakfast are included in price. Meals at Chena Hot Springs Resort and the evening meal in Fairbanks are on your own.
- Double occupancy lodging (Single Supplement Upgrade $550).
- Feedback and image critiques and helpful suggestions throughout the trip.
- Video tutorials tailored to processing images captured on the trip.
- Airfare to and from Fairbanks from home.
- Optional excursions (dog sledding, flight seeing, snow machining)
- Trip insurance (highly recommended).
All participants will be sharing rooms, unless you specifically request and pay for single occupancy. Some rooms have two queen beds, others have two twin beds, assigned on a first come first serve basis. You will be paired with another participant of the same gender for lodging.
All participants are strongly advised to purchase travel protection insurance. Travelinsurance.com offers many different options from various vendors and allows for product comparison. Trip insurance should include Medical Evacuation of greater than $100,000. Estimated cost for insurance is between $300 and $700, which includes $1M in medical evacuation.
Tour Cancellation Policy:
Minimum number of participants is 4. If RRPT does not meet the required minimum, 100% of the deposit will be refunded. RRPT will not be responsible for booked airfare or other fees and expenses. RRPT will notify participants when the minimum number of participants has been reached. Please do not book your airfare until RRPT has confirmed the trip.
Participant Cancellation Policy:
RRPT requires written notice of your cancellation (email will be adequate), at which time the following fees are non-refundable:
60 days or less before the start of the trip – 100% of the fees paid are non-refundable
61-100 days – RRPT will refund your payment if we can fill your spot. If your spot is not filled, the deposit is non-refundable.
101-145 days – $500 non-refundable fee will be retained.
146+ days $100 non-refundable fee will be retained.
RRPT Cancellation of Photo Tour:
RRPT reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum participant enrollment is not met or other unforeseen event. In the event we cancel a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund. We are not however, liable for any expenses incurred including (but not limited to) costs such as airfare or accommodations, and for this reason will also recommend the purchase of trip insurance.
Non-shooting significant other:
For this trip, because of the very limited number of rooms available at our two destinations, should you wish to bring along a non-shooting significant other, that individual would need to register as a full participant.
1,027 total views, 3 views today